Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Jet Pack Heroes


Hey gang- here's a character I created for my friend's cartoon pitch. His name is Jake Mountian. He's the leader of Jet Pack Heroes- a group of self obsessed rescue workers that care more about how they look on camera rather than saving the screaming old lady in the burning building. It takes place in the future where natural disasters have ravaged the earth and all its inhabitants. Everything is televised and super-mega-hyper-commercialized.

The character write up called for a square-jawed cocky leader in a semi-realitic style. I thought I'd share the process of going from initial concept ideas to finished character. I like the finished Jake but for some reason the last page of sketches with the guy with the underbite and skinny arms and legs is appealing to me.

It was a lot of fun to work on and I'll be posting the other characters here sometime in the future. The pitch is still in the oozing formation stage, but the creator, Patrick Baggata's other cartoon pitch can be ogled here...